Pradaxa – a new standard in anticoagulation care
Atrial fibrillation (AF) can lead to clots forming in the heart, putting patients at significantly increased risk of a life-changing stroke – in fact, AF increases the risk of stroke by a factor of five.1–3
Pradaxa is leading the way in stroke prevention and treatment. Not only is there a wealth of clinical data supporting its safety and efficacy,4-8 this has also been independently investigated and validated by numerous authorities.9-13
This is unprecedented in non vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants (NOACs).
In addition, Praxbind – the specific reversal agent for Pradaxa14 – is now available, offering the ability to immediately reverse anticoagulation, should it ever be needed. This puts you as a physician in control.
The importance of preventing deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism (DVT/PE) and venous thromboembolic events (VTE)
DVT/PE affects millions of people each year; it is the third most common cause of vascular death after MI and stroke.15–17
VTE is one of the most common preventable causes of death after major orthopedic surgery,18 and yet patients undergoing major orthopedic surgery, such as knee or hip replacement, remain at high risk of VTE.19,20
With extensive clinical data,9-13 alongside with an immediate and specific reversal agent,14 Pradaxa offers a new level of clinical certainty both for you and your patients.
Watch Professor Gregory Lip and Professor John Camm discuss how novel oral anticoagulants are changing stroke prevention in AF.
- Andersen KK et al. Stroke 2009;40(6):2068–2072.
- Paolucci S et al. Stroke 2003;34(12):2861–2865.
- Roger VL et al. Circulation 2011;123(4):e18–e209.
- Connolly SJ et al. N Engl J Med 2009;361(12):1139–1151.
- Connolly SJ et al. N Engl J Med 2010;363(19):1875–1876.
- Connolly SJ et al. N Engl J Med 2014:371(15):1464–1465.
- Connolly SJ et al. Circulation 2013;128(3):237-243.
- Ezekowitz MD et al. Oral presentation 10684 on Monday 18 November 2013 at the American Health Association Scientific Sessions, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- Graham DJ et al. Circulation 2015;131(2):157–164.
- Seeger JD et al. Presented at AHA 2014.
- Villines TC et al. Presented at AHA 2014.
- Larsen TB et al. Am J Med 2014;127(7):650–656.e5.
- Larsen TB et al. Am J Med 2014;127(4):329–336.e4
- Praxbind Summary of Product Characteristics, 2016. Boehringer Ingelheim.
- Goldhaber SZ. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992;19(2):246–247.
- Cohen AT et al. Thromb Haemost 2007;98(4):756–764.
- Roger VL et al. Circulation 2012;125(1):e2–e220.
- Agudelo JF et al. Orthopedics 2005;28(10):1164–1171.
- Geerts WH et al. Chest 2004;126(3 Suppl):338S–400S.
- Arcelus JI et al. Orthopedics 2006;29(6):506–516.